What are Tamsulosin HCl (Generic) Capsules for Dogs and Cats?
- Tamsulosin is a prescription drug that can be used to relax the lower urinary tract and may help in the treatment of bladder stones.
- Tamsulosin is similar to the drug Prazosin, but may be longer acting. There is less information known about the use of Tamsulosin in dogs and cats.
- Tamsulosin may also help improve the passage of urine in cases of enlarged prostates, known as Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH).
Why is Tamsulosin used for cats and dogs?
- Veterinarians may prescribe Tamsulosin to relax the smooth muscle of the bladder or prostate.
- This relaxation can help improve urine flow in male dogs with enlarged prostates.
- Tamsulosin may also help cats and dogs needing to pass bladder stones.
What else should I know about Tamsulosin?
- It may take up to three days for Tamsulosin to start having a full effect.
What problems could my dog or cat have with Tamsulosin?
- Higher dosages may cause low blood pressure. Do not crush sustained release tablets as this may increase the likelihood of this dangerous effect.
How do you use Tamsulosin?
- Tamsulosin works best when given on an empty stomach. Always follow your veterinarian's recommendations.
What is in Tamsulosin?
- The drug Tamsulosin blocks the sympathetic nervous system from stimulating certain receptors that are most commonly found in the prostate, parts of the bladder, and the lower urinary tract system.
Will I get what I see in the picture?
- Tamsulosin is sold as an FDA approved generic drug. Brand may vary from order to order and variation to variation. We are unable to guarantee which brand will be available at the time of order shipment.
Is it important for my dog or cat to finish all of the Tamsulosin?
- Dogs and cats may use Tamsulosin for different lengths of time. Please consult your veterinarian if you have any questions.