What are Selegiline Tablets and Capsules for Dogs and Cats?
- Selegiline hydrochloride is prescription monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) that works by regulating certain chemicals in the brain.
- It helps to regulate sleep-wake cycles, activity levels, behaviors, and other symptoms associated with cognitive dysfunction.
Why do cats and dogs use Selegiline?
- Selegiline is commonly used to control symptoms of canine cognitive dysfunction and certain types of Cushing’s disease.
- If your dog has been diagnosed with cognitive dysfunction or a neurodegenerative disorder, your veterinarian may prescribe selegiline.
- Selegiline works by blocking certain chemicals in the brain.
What else should I know about Selegiline?
- It is important to discuss any changes to diet, snacks, or flea and tick treatments with your veterinarian while giving Selegiline.
- It may take several weeks for you to see if Selegiline is working.
- Are you looking for Anipryl tablets?
What problems could my dog or cat have with Selegiline?
- Selegiline is not recommended for other behavior problems such as aggression.
- Selegiline may cause GI problems such as vomiting, diarrhea, lack of appetite, or drooling.
How do you use Selegiline?
- Selegiline can be given with or without food.
- Dogs usually take Selegiline in the morning, and cats most often take it in the evening. Follow your veterinarian's directions for how to give the medication.
What is in Selegiline?
- Selegiline is a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI). MAOIs were the first kind of antidepressant developed.
Will I get what I see in the picture?
- Selegiline is sold as an FDA approved generic drug. Brand may vary from order to order and variation to variation. We are unable to guarantee which brand will be available at the time of order shipment.
Is it important for my dog or cat to finish all of the Selegiline?
- Dogs and cats may use Selegiline for different lengths of time. Please consult your veterinarian if you have any questions.
As long as it's working for my baby, I will purchase againFrom Essexville, MIComments about Selegiline
Great priceFrom Essexville, MIComments about Selegiline
Excellent Service. Speedy delivery and very happy with meds.From Cueur D' Alene, IdahoComments about Selegiline
I will be buying this againFrom Essexville, MIComments about Selegiline
Q & A
I am prescribed 2 mg. for my fur baby. Can this pill be cut in half??
Selegiline is currently available in a 5 mg tablet or capsule. Splitting the 5mg tablet would provide 2.5 mg of Selegiline, which is over the prescribed dosage. Please consult with your veterinarian regarding the appropriate dosage of this medication for your pet.Verified Answer
I'm wondering how this medication affects the liver and kidneys??
Selegiline is used for cognitive dysfunction, senility, or Cushing's disease. Some potential adverse effects are decreased appetite, nausea, dizziness, and confusion. The manufacturer does not report any warning regarding liver or kidney damage. Please consult your veterinarian if you have any concerns for your pet. Thank you, VetRxDirectVerified Answer