What are Pyridostigmine Tablets for Dogs?
- Pyridostigmine Bromide is a prescription medication called a cholinesterase inhibitor that helps improve muscle function by strengthening nerve impulses.
Why do dogs use Pyridostigmine?
- Pyridostigmine is used to treat myasthenia gravis, a condition that causes muscle weakness due to the lack or destruction of certain nerve receptors.
- Myasthenia gravis commonly affects the facial, airway, and esophagus muscles, and it can lead to a secondary condition called megaesophagus.
- Megaesophagus causes the esophagus to become enlarged and the muscles to become weak or fail, making it difficult to swallow food and water down into the stomach.
What else should I know about Pyridostigmine?
- Adjusting the dose is very important to reduce side effects. If your veterinarian suggests follow-up, this is important.
- Pyridostigmine tablets are extremely moisture sensitive. They should be stored away from moisture.
What problems could my dog have with Pyridostigmine?
- Overdoses of Pyridostigmine can be very serious. Keep Pyridostigmine out of reach of children and other animals.
- Side effects that are usually not serious include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, excessive drooling, smaller pupil size, and tearing.
How do you use Pyridostigmine?
- Pyridostigmine can be given with or without food. Follow your veterinarian's directions and give it the same way every dose.
What is in Pyridostigmine?
- The drug Pyridostigmine is an anticholinesterase agent that decreases the breakdown of acetylcholine, a chemical messenger in the brain.
Will I get what I see in the picture?
- Pyridostigmine is sold as an FDA approved generic drug. Brand may vary from order to order and variation to variation. We are unable to guarantee which brand will be available at the time of order shipment.
Is it important for my dog to finish all of the Pyridostigmine?
- Dogs may use Pyridostigmine for different lengths of time. Please consult your veterinarian if you have any questions.
No Reviews Yet
Q & A
Regarding the side effects of this drug with dogs. My dog is currently taking 1/4 of a tablet and had been showing side effects of drooling and vomiting. Vomiting excessive watery mucus. Would omepromazol help with this side effect??
This drug can lead to muscarinic side effects such as drooling, vomiting, and diarrhea. Talk to your vet about adjusting the dose or adding an anti-muscarinicCommunity Answer
Observed side effects such as excess salivation, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea while administering pyridostigmine should be reported to the veterinarian as a dosage adjustment may be required. These types of side effects can often be reduced or eliminated with a decreased dose. Ongoing monitoring and reporting these types of side effects while on pyridostigmine will be important to avoid or reduce future adverse events.Community Answer
My dog weighs 60# appx. What would the proper dosage be??
Pyridostigmine Bromide is a prescription medication that helps improve muscle function by strengthening nerve impulses. The dosage of this medication is based on the dog's weight and ranges from 0.5-3 mg/kg depending on the dog. To determine the specific dosing of Pyridostigmine Bromide for your dog and discuss any further questions you have about this product, please contact your veterinarian.Verified Answer