Metronidazole (compounded) Capsules for Dogs and Cats
Metronidazole is a synthetic antibacterial and antiprotazoal agent used to treat trichomoniasis, giardiasis, balantidiasis, amoebiasis, and trypanosomiasis in dogs and cats. Giardia is a parasite that lives in the small intestine and can cause diarrhea. The organism can be found in contaminated soil, food, and water. Metronidazole can also be used to treat other parasites or anaerobic infections. It is also used to treat diarrhea and infections caused by anerobic bacteria. This medication has a bitter taste. Disguising it with food may help you administer this drug successfully. Metronidazole is a generic of Flagyl.
What you should know about Metronidazole:
- Beyond Use Date for Compounded Metronidazole Capsules: Due to the shelf life of this product, it is reccommended the capsules be used within 170 days.
- Adverse effects reported in dogs: lack of energy, weakness, liver toxicity, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, neurologic disorders (seen with high doses or chronic therapy).
- Adverse effects reported in cats: vomiting, lack of appetite, liver toxicity.
- Report any neurological side effects to your pet's veterinarian.
- Talk to your pet's veterinarian before using this product.
- Follow dosing directions exactly - don’t give your pet more medication than directed and don’t skip doses.
- Read the label carefully for information about storage, possible side effects, and drug interactions.
- This specialty medication is compounded by hand by skilled VetRxDirect pharmacy technicians following strict regulations to keep your pet safe. A minimum amount per compounded medication of $49.99 is required. When an amount less than the minimum is purchased the difference will be added to your invoice.
- Want to learn more about Compounding?
Resistance is a major concern when giving antibiotics. Resistance occurs when bacteria survive and mutate and are then able to survive even after antibiotics are given. To help avoid any resistance, it is important to give antibiotics as they are prescribed for as long as they are prescribed even if your pet is looking and feeling better.