What is Humulin R Insulin for Dogs and Cats?
- Insulin is a hormone that is naturally produced by the pancreas to convert sugar (glucose) in the blood to energy for the body.
- Insulin therapy is prescribed to dogs and cats with diabetes. Diabetic animals are either unable to produce their own insulin or cannot use it properly.
- Insulin helps treat diabetes in cats and dogs by normalizing the glucose level in the blood.
- The insulin in Humulin R is called Regular insulin.
- Humulin R is a U-100 regular or short-acting insulin. U-100 means that each milliliter of insulin is divided into 100 dosing units.
Why do cats and dogs use Humulin R?
- Insulin is prescribed to dogs and cats with diabetes mellitus to help lower their blood sugar.
- Insulin is an ongoing, supportive treatment for diabetes.
What else should I know about Humulin R?
- Humulin R vials should be discarded within 31 days after first puncture.
- Syringes and pen needles are sold separately.
- Vials should be used with U-100 insulin syringes.
- Store Humulin R in the refrigerator.
- Humulin R is not eligible for free shipping.
- Humulin R must be shipped next day in cold packs. Saturday delivery is an extra $20 charge to the carrier.
What problems could my dog or cat have with Humulin R?
- Insulin overdoses may be fatal. Contact your veterinarian immediately if your dog or cat is not acting normally.
- Signs of low blood sugar include weakness, depression, lack of energy, sluggishness, stumbling when walking, behavior changes, muscle twitching, seizures, or coma. It is a medical emergency if your cat or dog is unconscious or having a seizure.
How do you use Humulin R?
- Insulin works best when given regularly - at the same times each day and in the same way regarding feeding, such as always after a meal. Follow your veterinarian's directions.
- Double check the dose every time before you give the insulin to prevent overdoses.
- Keep a source of easily given sugar, such as corn syrup or honey, on hand at all times in case of low blood sugar. Follow your veterinarian's suggestions.
What is in Humulin R?
- The drug in Humulin R is called Regular Insulin.
- There are different kinds of insulin classified by how quickly they work, how long they last, or when they have peak effectiveness.
- Regular Insulin is a type of regular or short-acting insulin. Regular or short-acting insulin reaches the bloodstream within 30 minutes after injection, peaks 2 to 3 hours later, and tends to last for about 3 to 6 hours.
Will I get what I see in the picture?
- Humulin R is a brand name. You will receive the exact brand that you request.
Is it important for my dog or cat to finish all of the Humulin R?
- Dogs and cats may use Humulin R for different lengths of time. Please consult your veterinarian if you have any questions.
No Reviews Yet
Is the Novolog insulin, for just pets? Can it be ok for 81 year old people??
- Asked by Donna
Verified Reply - VetRxDirect Humulin R Insulin and Novolog Insulin are human products that may be used by your pet in an extra label manner with proper recommendation and guidance from your veterinarian. Humulin R and Novolog insulin are commonly used in the human population and are approved for human use. VetRxDirect is a veterinary pharmacy and dispenses prescription medication on the order of a licensed veterinarian to dogs and cats only.