What are Fluoxetine Capsules for Dogs and Cats?
- Fluoxetine is a prescription behavior modifying medication used in dogs and cats to treat several behavioral disorders including aggression in dogs and anxiety.
- Fluoxetine is the generic drug name for Prozac.
Why do cats and dogs use Fluoxetine?
- Fluoxetine may be prescribed to treat a variety of behavior disorders, such as agression, obsessive-compulsive behavior, or anxiety.
- Fluoxetine may also help against inappropriate elimination in cats.
What else should I know about Fluoxetine?
- Fluoxetine is most effective when used in conjunction with behavior programs.
- It may be several weeks before it can be determined if Fluoxetine is effective.
- Splitting or opening capsules is not recommended.
- Looking for Fluoxetine Tablets?
- Looking for Liquid Fluoxetine or Fluoxetine Transdermal Gel?
- Looking for Reconcile (fluoxetine) Chewable Tablets?
What problems could my dog or cat have with Fluoxetine?
- Common side effects include sleepiness and reduced appetite.
- Rare, but serious, side effects include seizures and aggression. Contact your veterinarian immediately if you notice these signs.
- Overdoses can be serious. Keep Fluoxetine out of the reach of children and other animals.
- Do not use flea collars while you are giving Fluoxetinewithout consulting with your veterinarian.
- This medication should not be used in dogs with a history of epilepsy or seizures.
- Fluoxetine should be used with caution in pets that have diabetes as it may alter the blood sugar levels.
How do you use Fluoxetine?
- Fluoxetine may be given with or without food. Follow your veterinarian's directions.
- Do not stop giving Fluoxetine without consulting with your pet's veterinarian as serious side effects may result.
What is in Fluoxetine?
- Fluoxetine is a behavior modifying drug.
- It is a selective seratonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) that works to increase the levels of seratonin in the brain.
Will I get what I see in the picture?
- Fluoxetine is sold as an FDA approved generic drug. Brand may vary from order to order and variation to variation. We are unable to guarantee which brand will be available at the time of order shipment.
Is it important for my dog or cat to finish all of the Fluoxetine?
- Dogs and cats may use Fluoxetine for different lengths of time. Please consult your veterinarian if you have any questions.
We never run out of this medicationFrom UndisclosedComments about Fluoxetine
It has changed my dog for the betterFrom UndisclosedComments about Fluoxetine
love the productFrom UndisclosedComments about Fluoxetine
Helped anxiety significantly with no noticeable side effectsFrom UndisclosedComments about Fluoxetine
Will keep getting the med from here.From undisclosedComments about Fluoxetine
Great for anxious dogsFrom undisclosedComments about Fluoxetine
It worked for usFrom undisclosedComments about Fluoxetine
Great deal, same as pharmacyFrom undisclosedComments about Fluoxetine
Will definitely be ordering againFrom undisclosedComments about Fluoxetine
Seems to work and affordable hereFrom Van Nuys, CAComments about Fluoxetine
Q & A
What size are the 10mg capsules? Are they a #3??
What should dosage be per pound of dog??
Generally the usual dose for a dog is 1-2 mg/kg by mouth once daily; however, dosing of fluoxetine should be determined by your dog's veterinarian and should be used in conjunction with a comprehensive behavior modification protocol.Verified Answer
What is the difference between the Fluoxetine Capsule and Tablet, because the tablets seem to be way more expensive. Thanks.?
The fluoxetine capsule and tablet dosage forms both contain the same active ingredient, fluoxetine hydrochloride. Pricing on the dosage forms can vary for a variety of reasons such as: manufacturing process, market exclusivity of dosage form, dosage form ingredient cost, etc.) If your pet is needing the commercially-available dose it would be cost effective to get the capsule dosage form. If your pet is needing a partial dose of the commercially-available medicine, such as half the dose, the tablet dosage form would be preferred due to the ability of splitting the dosage form.Verified Answer