Basaglar (insulin glargine injection) Rx
What is Basaglar Insulin for Dogs and Cats?
- Insulin is a hormone that is naturally produced by the pancreas to converts sugar (glucose) to energy.
- Insulin therapy is prescribed to pets with diabetes because they are unable to produce their own insulin or cannot use it properly.
Why do cats and dogs use Basaglar?
- Basaglar is a type of long-acting insulin used to lower blood sugar in animals with diabetes mellitus (sugar diabetes).
What else should I know about Basaglar?
- Once opened, Basaglar pens must be used within 28 days or be discarded.
- Visually inspect Basaglar prefilled pens for particulate matter and discoloration prior to administration. Only use if the solution is clear and colorless with no visible particles.
- Do not freeze Basaglar. Do not use Basaglar if it has been frozen.
- Basaglar must be protected from direct heat and light.
- Basalgar can be used with syringes or pen needles. Pen needles are sold separately.
- Basaglar is a U-100 insulin. There are 100 dosing units per mL. Use U-100 syinges to help you dose properly if you don't use pen needles.
- Requires cold-packed, Next-Day shipping service. The Saturday delivery is an extra $20 charge to the carrier.
What problems could my dog or cat have with Basaglar?
- Be careful about overdoses can be fatal.
- Double-check the dose and the amount in the syringe. Learn the signs that indicate your animal’s blood sugar is low.
- Skin reactions at the injection sites. Rotate injections sites to decrease the likelihood of this happening. If this effect is severe, worsens, or continues to be a problem, contact your veterinarian.
How do you use Basaglar?
- Basaglar dosage will be determined by your veterinairan. Basaglar comes in a KwikPen device that can administer multiple doses as small as 1 unit, simply twist the end dial
What is in Basaglar?
- The drug in Basaglar is insulin glargine. Insulin glargine is also found in Lantus.
- Basaglar is a type of long-acting insulin.
Will I get what I see in the picture?
- Basaglar is a brand name. You will receive the exact brand that you request.
Is it important for my dog or cat to finish all of the Basaglar?
- Dogs and cats may use Basaglar for different lengths of time. Please consult your veterinarian if you have any questions.