Amlodipine Besylate (Compounded) Capsules for Cats and Dogs
Amlodipine Besylate is a prescription medication prescribed to treat high blood pressure or hypertension in cats. Amlodipine is a calcium channel-blocker medication that dilates the blood vessels to improve blood flow. Veterinarians also prescribe this medicine to lower blood pressure in dogs with chronic kidney disease. Amlodipine is compounded in capsules, flavored oral suspension, and transdermal gel.
- Read and follow the prescription label carefully for storage information, possible side effects, and drug interactions.
- Give the exact amount prescribed and only as often as directed.
- Do not skip doses or stop giving the medication without consulting your veterinarian.
- The 2.5mg, 5mg, and 10mg amlodipine besylate tablets can be found on amlodipine product page
Beyond Use Dates:
- Due to the shelf life of these products, please note the following information.
- Capsules: It is recommended the capsules be used within 170 days.
- Transdermal Gel: It is recommended the transdermal gel be used within 20 days.
- Oral Suspension: It is reccommended the oral suspension be used within 80 days.
How do I give Amlodipine Besylate (Compounded) Capsules?
- First, READ THE LABEL CAREFULLY.
- Give Amlodipine Besylate to your pet as directed by your veterinarian.
- If Amlodipine Besylate is prescribed as a liquid, measure the dose carefully.
- This medicine may be given with food.
- Try to give this medication at about the same time(s) each day.
- DO NOT give your pet more medicine than directed.
- DO NOT give your pet medicine more often than prescribed.
- Try not to miss giving any doses because symptoms may redevelop quickly.
- DO NOT stop giving your pet Amlodipine Besylate unless directed by your veterinarian. Plan ahead to ensure you have the refills you need.
How do I store Amlodipine Besylate (Compounded) Capsules?
- Keep this medicine out of reach of children.
- Store this medicine at room temperature in a dry, cool place. Keep this medicine away from heat and direct sunlight.
- Do not store this medicine in damp places, in the bathroom, or near the kitchen sink. This medication can break down when exposed to moisture or heat.
What are the potential side effects of Amlodipine Besylate (Compounded) Capsules?
- This medicine appears to have minimal adverse effects. However, your pet may experience loss of appetite, low blood pressure and/or weight loss.
- Other side effects may occur. If you notice anything unusual, contact your veterinarian.
If I miss a dose, what do I do?
If you miss a dose, give it to your pet as soon as possible. If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose, then continue with the regular dosing schedule. Do not give your pet two doses at once.
What about possible drug interactions?
- Be sure to tell your veterinarian about any other medications or supplements you are giving your pet.
- It’s not uncommon for your veterinarian to prescribe two different medications, which may cause a drug interaction to occur. If this happens, your veterinarian may change the dose and/or monitor your pet more closely.
- Amlodipine Besylate may cause abnormally low blood pressure and may interact with the following medicines: diuretics, beta-blockers, other vasodilators, or other agents that may reduce blood pressure.
- Contact your veterinarian if your pet experiences any unusual reactions when different medications are given together.