What are Urocit-K (Potassium Citrate) Extended Release Tablets for Dogs and Cats?
- Potassium Citrate is often prescribed to lower urine pH in dogs and cats to prevent and reduce urinary stones.
- High levels of uric acid or calcium in the urine can form crystals or stones in the kidneys or bladder, which can be a painful condition.
- As these stones move through pet’s system they can cause pain, nausea, and other side effects.
- Potassium citrate is also used to supplement low potassium levels to treat hypokalemia and reduce elevated levels of acid in the body to treat metabolic acidosis.
- Bladder stones are common in dogs and cats that have recurrent urinary tract infections.
- Potassium Citrate is a prescription medication that helps reduce the formation of bladder stones and support a healthy urinary system.
- Extended release tablets are designed to absorb slowly so that fewer doses have to be given.
Why do cats and dogs use Urocit-K?
- If your pet is prone to urinary stones or other conditions, your veterinarian may prescribe a medication like Potassium citrate.
- When the pH in your pet’s urine becomes imbalanced, it can cause crystals to form which leads to bladder stones.
- Diet issues, dehydration, and even certain breed types can increase the chances your dog or cat may suffer from this painful condition.
- Potassium Citrate is proven to lower the pH in urine and help reduce the formation of painful bladder stones.
- Given as directed, prescription Potassium Citrate can also help support a healthy urinary tract over time.
What else should I know about Urocit-K?
- Reduces formation of bladder stones.
- Supports overall urinary health in cats and dogs.
- Extended release tablets allow for less frequent dosing.
What problems could my dog or cat have with Urocit-K?
- Your veterinarian will need to monitor your dog or cat regularly while they are taking Potassium Citrate. Make sure not to miss follow-up appointments.
How do you use Urocit-K?
- Potassium Citrate may be given with food or mixed into food. Follow your veterinarian's directions.
What is in Urocit-K?
- The active ingredient in Urocit-K is the drug Potassium Citrate, which makes the urine more alkaline.
Will I get what I see in the picture?
- Urocit-K is a brand name. You will receive the exact brand that you request.
Is it important for my dog or cat to finish all of the Urocit-K?
- Dogs and cats may use Potassium Citrate for different lengths of time. Please consult your veterinarian if you have any questions.
No Reviews Yet
Q & A
can i split a tablet of urocit 5meq er?
No, it is recommended that this tablet be taken whole. Thank you, VetRxDirectCommunity Answer