What are Spironolactone Tablets for Dogs and Cats?
- Spironolactone is a prescription medication often used in the treatment of heart failure.
- Spironolactone works in the kidneys to help the body remove excess fluid and salt.
- Spironolactone helps the body to retain the potassium that is sometimes lost in large amounts when using other diuretics.
Why do cats and dogs use Spironolactone?
- Spironolactone is usually prescribed in combination with other drugs to treat heart failure and relieve extra pressure on the heart.
- Spironolactone is often used in combination with another diuretic, such as furosemide.
- Spironolactone may also be prescribed for dogs with liver failure to help reduce fluid build-up in the abdomen.
What else should I know about Spironolactone?
- Because Spironolactone can change salts and electrolytes in the blood, your veterinarian may ask for regular bloodwork. These tests are very important.
- Make sure your dog and cat have access to plenty of fresh, clean water while taking Spironolactone as the drug will make them drink and urinate more.
What problems could my dog or cat have with Spironolactone?
- Contact your veterinarian immediately if you see your dog or cat develop skin sores, facial itching, persistent or severe lack of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, low energy, increased breathing rate or effort, or trouble walking or balancing.
- Contact your veterinarian immediately if your companion stops drinking or urinating.
How do you use Spironolactone?
- Wear gloves when handling Spironolactone tablets. Prolonged exposure to Spironolactone can cause birth defects, reproductive harm, cancer, or organ damage.
What is in Spironolactone?
- The drug Spironolactone is a diuretic that works in the kidneys to remove excess fluids and salt from the body.
Will I get what I see in the picture?
- Spironolactone is sold as an FDA approved generic drug. Brand may vary from order to order and variation to variation. We are unable to guarantee which brand will be available at the time of order shipment.
Is it important for my dog or cat to finish all of the Spironolactone?
- Dogs and cats may use Spironolactone for different lengths of time. Please consult your veterinarian if you have any questions.
We receive our Spinorolactone/ Lasix/Enalapril from VetRxFrom UndisclosedComments about Spironolactone (Generic) 25mg Tablet
I will be buying all my meds here.From UndisclosedComments about Spironolactone (Generic)
This medication is keeping my cat alive!From High Point, NCComments about Spironolactone (Generic)
This is really goodFrom Brawley, CA, USAComments about Spironolactone (Generic)
Q & A
Are the 25 mg tablets scored??
The Spironolactone tablets that we currently carry are not scored, but this may vary based on the manufacturer. The manufacturer of generic drugs depends on availability at the time of shipment. Human-labeled generic drugs for extra-label use in pets are sold and shipped generically unless the brand is specifically requested by your pet's veterinarian. If you need a specific manufacturer, you will need to contact our pharmacy directly.Verified Answer
My veterinarian prescribed Spirononlactone 10 mg. I can only find 25 mg. How do I get 10 mg??
The lowest dose of spironolactone that is formulated in the United States is 25mg. Speak with your veterinarian about how to obtain the 10mg dose. Thank you, VetRxDirectVerified Answer
my heart doctor gave me spironolactone to take. they give this to animals to /?
Many human medications are also prescribed for pets, including spirnolactone. Your pet's veterinarian would be able to decide if this medication would be right for your pet. Thank you, VetRxDirectCommunity Answer