Asthma can make it harder for your pet to breathe. The Proair Albuterol Inhaler makes it easier. This prescription medication is a bronchodilator that opens up airways in the lungs and provides quick relief for dogs and cats.
- Fast acting relief from the symptoms of asthma
- For dogs and cats
- Most effective when used with the AeroKat or AeroDawg Aerosol Chamber
Albuterol sulfate, the active ingredient in the Proair Albuterol Inhaler, is one of the most common and effective medications prescribed to ease asthma symptoms in dogs and cats. The medication gets down deep into the lungs where it opens up airways and makes it easier to breathe. Administering this medication using only the inhaler can be difficult with some pets, so consider using the Proair Albuterol Inhaler in combination with the AeroKat or AeroDawg Aerosol Chamber.
What you should know about Proair Albuterol Inhaler:
- Talk to your veterinarian before using this product.
- Follow dosing directions exactly - don’t give your pet more medication than directed and don’t skip doses.
- Read the label carefully for information about storage, possible side effects, and drug interactions.
For additional information about Proair Albuterol Inhaler, click the “More Information” and “Package Insert” tabs above.
Procedure for first time users purchasing fluticasone/albuterol:
- After your veterinarian has prescribed a MDI inhaler for your pet, place your order at VetRxDirect.com
- During checkout fill out the requested information about your pet and your vet.
- VetRxDirect will contact your veterinarian, usually by fax, for prescription authorization.
- Once the prescription has been authorized by your veterinarian, the product(s) are shipped by GROUND SERVICE to your door.
- You will receive your order within two to five weekdays, excluding holidays, from prescription authorization.
NOTE: Trudell Medical International does not endorse this protocol.
It is provided as guidance for discussion with your veterinarian.
FELINE ASTHMA THERAPY
One strength, 90 mcg dose
Why Use ALBUTEROL
- It is more rapidly acting than the oral or sq or i.m. form of terbutaline
- It is more effective than the theophylline compounds (theodur)
Asthma in cats
- Maybe be used daily or as needed for asthmatic cat already on daily steroids – if there is increased cough, wheeze, or increased respiratory rate and effort at rest
- Usually used only as needed for cats with intermittent signs of asthma (not daily signs)
WHAT ARE POTENTIAL SIDE EFFECTS?
- Musculoskeletal twitchiness
- Excitability, insomnia, anorexia
- THESE SIDE EFFECTS IN CATS ARE VERY, VERY UNCOMMON!
WHAT ARE POTENTIAL PROBLEMS?
This drug is very safe-with profound overdose (cat chews canister) there are reported problems with potassium regulation-I have never seen this.
HOW TO USE
- Rx the drug as the generic (albuterol MDI) - two puffs into AeroKat BID (GIVEN INDIVIDUALLY).
- Cat should breathe the drug through the mask and AeroKat for 7-10 seconds.
- Positive clinical effect should be seen within 5-10 minutes.
- Can be used every ½ hr for 2-4 hrs as needed in crisis.