What are Piroxicam Capsules for Dogs and Cats?
- Piroxicam is a nonsteriodal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) used to treat pain and inflammation.
- Piroxicam may also enhance the body's ability to destroy cancer cells, and may be used with chemotherapy.
- and is a non-selective COX-1 and COX-2 inhibitor. This product is the capsules also used for humans. Piroxicam inhibits the production of prostaglandins, decreasing inflammatory reactions, which decreases pain.
Why do cats and dogs use Piroxicam?
- Piroxicam is prescribed to dogs to treat pain and inflammation due to degenerative joint disease, and as an adjunctive treatment of various tumors and carcinomas.
- Piroxicam may be prescribed to cats as part of a cancer treatment regimen.
What else should I know about Piroxicam?
- Piroxicam should be avoided in pets with allergies to aspirin or other NSAIDs, history of GI ulcer disease, bleeding disorders, or severely compromised cardiac function.
What problems could my dog or cat have with Piroxicam?
- Piroxicam, like other NSAIDs, can cause GI ulcers, bleeding, and kidney damage.
- Kidney problems are especially common in cats using Piroxicam.
- Piroxoicam can also cause headache, dizziness, ear ringing, abnormal liver tests, itching, rash, and water retention.
- It is important to monitor your pet for these side effects while using Piroxicam. Your veterinarian may need to perform regular blood tests and exams.
How do you use Piroxicam?
- Piroxicam is best given with food to reduce stomach upset. Follow your veterinarian's directions.
What is in Piroxicam?
- The drug Piroxicam is a nonsteriodal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) that is a non-selective COX-1 and COX-2 inhibitor.
- Piroxicam inhibits the production of prostaglandins, decreasing inflammatory reactions, which decreases pain.
Will I get what I see in the picture?
- Piroxicam is sold as an FDA approved generic drug. Brand may vary from order to order and variation to variation. We are unable to guarantee which brand will be available at the time of order shipment.
Is it important for my dog or cat to finish all of the Piroxicam?
- Dogs and cats may use Piroxicam for different lengths of time. Please consult your veterinarian if you have any questions.
I would buy again.From Woodstock, NY.Comments about Piroxicam
seems to help tho i have no real comparisonFrom Hawaii, USAComments about Piroxicam
Awesome priceFrom Orlando, FL, USAComments about Piroxicam
Q & A
what is the recommended dosage for a 50lb pitbull lab mix??
Piroxicam may be used for different indications. If using piroxicam as an add on therapy of neoplastic diseases the suggested dose for dogs is 0.3 mg/kg by mouth daily (if tolerated) or every other day with food. Other indications suggest once daily dosing versus the possibility of every other day dosing. Please contact your veterinarian prior to administering this medication for an appropriate dose specific to your dog’s condition and characteristics.Verified Answer
I'm looking for a dosage of 1.5 miligram of piroxicam. Where can I find it? Do you have it? Thanks?
VetRxDirect offers standard piroxicam that is available in 10mg and 20mg capsules. Compounded Piroxicam is also available in a 1mg/ml oral suspension as well as 1.6mg capsules.Verified Answer
I gave my Beagle 2 Aleve for 3 days she was doing great. More mobile! She had terrible watery stools all over the house, all night long. I want to help her. I don't have $500 for vet. But she showed improvement. 46 lbs. & 12 yrs. Hw much give her?
The amount of naproxen (generic form of Aleve) in one tablet of the human labeled product contains over 5 times the recommended dosage of this medication for a dog at your pet’s size. Also, due to the occurrence of adverse effects, including distress and diarrhea, this medication is typically not recommended until safer medications in this class of medications are tried. Please consult a veterinarian regarding the use of this or any other new medications for your pet.Community Answer