What are Mirtazapine Tablets for Cats and Dogs?
- Mirtazapine is an antidepressant type medication that increases appetite, supports weight gain, and may reduce vomiting.
- Mirtazapine can be used in combination with other products, but is also often used alone.
Why do cats and dogs use Mirtazapine?
- Mirtazapine is a medication used commonly in cats and dogs to stimulate their appetite or to reduce vomiting episodes due to chemotherapy treatments.
- Mirtazapine is also prescribed by veterinarians to control undesired weight loss in cats with underlying conditions including kidney, dental, or gastrointestinal diseases.
What else should I know about Mirtazapine?
- Most veterinarians prescribe Mirtazapine at the lowest possible dose in order to decrease the chance of side effects.
What problems could my dog or cat have with Mirtazapine?
- Side effects of Mirtazapine are more common in cats.
- Common side effects of Mirtazapine include vocalization, behavior changes, and tremors or shaking.
- Contact your veterinarian if you notice excessive vocalization or drowsiness.
How do you use Mirtazapine?
- Mirtazapine may be given with or without food. Follow your veterinarian's guidance.
What is in Mirtazapine?
- Mirtazapine is a prescription antidepressant, antiemetic, and appetite stimulant.
Will I get what I see in the picture?
- Mirtazapine is sold as an FDA approved generic drug. Brand may vary from order to order and variation to variation. We are unable to guarantee which brand will be available at the time of order shipment.
Is it important for my dog or cat to finish all of the Mirtazapine?
- Dogs and cats may use Mirtazapine for different lengths of time. Please consult your veterinarian if you have any questions.
Who makes Mirtazapine Tablets?
- Mirtazapine tablets are made by a variety of different manuacturers. We are unable to guarantee which manufacturer will be available at time of shipment.
Most Liked Positive Review
Most Liked Negative Review
Very helpfulFrom UndisclosedComments about Mirtazapine (Generic) 15mg Tablet
This helps my dog! 💗🐕From UndisclosedComments about Mirtazapine (Generic) 15mg Tablet
This medication helped my cat.From UndisclosedComments about Mirtazapine (Generic) 7.5mg Tablet
Delivered with careFrom UndisclosedComments about Mirtazapine (Generic)
Works very well.From Thousand Oaks, CAComments about Mirtazapine (Generic)
It worksFrom UndisclosedComments about Mirtazapine (Generic)
Helpful and CaringFrom undisclosedComments about Mirtazapine (Generic)
not recomendedFrom FloridaComments about Mirtazapine (Generic)
A good company to do business withFrom undisclosedComments about Mirtazapine (Generic)
Good productFrom undisclosedComments about Mirtazapine (Generic)
Q & A
I am looking at either the 7.5 mg tab or the 15 mg tab. Are these oblong or round tablets? Is there a picture of the pill so that I can compare it to what my cat is currently taking? Also, I am wondering why the price is so much higher for the lower dose. Is it the exact same medication? or a different formula??
The active ingredients in each of the pills are the same (just different doses). Usually the result of the smaller drug dose being higher priced than larger dose is because of drug shortages and differences in supply and demand. VetRxDirect cannot guarantee which manufacturer of the generic mirtazapine will be in stock when an order is placed. Availability and pricing are subject to change with generic manufacturers.Verified Answer
The page says that the product is 0.18. Is that 0.18c per tablet, or for the bottle of 30? Thanks in advance!?
That medication is sold at a per tablet price. Thank you, VetRxDirectCommunity Answer
My vet prescribed one-half of a 7.5 mg tablet for my cat. Your tabs are 15 mg in size. Can I easily break one of these into quarters (4 pieces), or are they of a size where it's not feasible? Also, what exactly is the size of them anyway? Thanks!?
Depending on the manufacturer, the tablets are either round or oblong. They are scored in half but splitting any further could be difficult. The size of the round tablet is about the size of the end of a push pin and the oblong ones are a little bigger. Thank you, VetRxDirectCommunity Answer
Are there any studies available that show contraindication of long term (every 3 days) use of a low dose to assist a cat with appetite stimulation? This cat has chronic renal failure(stage 2), IBD, hypertension.?
Deborah, Based on the medical information provided, mirtazapine could be used to help stimulate your pet's appetite. It is recommended for pets with kidney impairment that the veterinarian is monitoring your cat while on mirtazapine therapy. Studies are limited regarding the use of mirtazapine for animal use so your veterinarian will be best suited for monitoring your pet's drug therapy. Thank you, VetRxDirectCommunity Answer