Mirataz (mirtazapine) Transdermal Ointment for Cats
Mirataz, mirtazapine, is a prescription appetite stimulant for cats. Mirtazapine is an antidepressant type medication that increases appetite, supports weight gain, and may reduce vomiting. It is prescribed by veterinarians to control undesired weight loss in cats with underlying conditions including kidney, dental, or gastrointestinal diseases. Mirataz transdermal gel is applied topically to the inner side of the cat’s earlobe, using a gloved finger, where it absorbs through the skin into the bloodstream. Available in a 5 g ointment.
What you should know about Mirataz:
- Protective finger cots or examination gloves should be worn when applying Mirataz.
- Read and follow the prescription label carefully for storage information, possible side effects, and drug interactions.
- Give the exact amount prescribed and only as often as directed.
- Do not skip doses or stop giving the medication without consulting your veterinarian.
- A typical dose is a 1.5 inch strip, but always follow your veterinarian's directions for your cat.
- Mirataz must be discarded 30 days after opening.
***Important note: The manufacturer has completed extended stability and safety testing that has extended the expiration dating from 30 months to 48 months. Some lot numbers may have stickers noting the expiration date change placed on them by the manufacturer.***