What are Methotrexate Tablets for Cats and Dogs?
- Methotrexate is an immunosuppressive and anticancer agent primarily used to treat lymphoma and other solid tumors in cats and dogs.
Why do cats and dogs use Methotrexate?
- Methotrexate may be prescribed for immune diseases such as lupus, hemolytic anemia, thrombocytopenia, pemphigus, rheumotoid arthritis, and proliferative urethritis.
- Methotrexate is also prescribed to treat a variety of different cancers.
What problems could my dog or cat have with Methotrexate?
- Because of the nature of the drug and its toxicities, pregnant or nursing animals should avoid using methotrexate.
- Side Effects: Diarrhea, nausea, lack of an appetite (especially in cats), vomiting (especially in dogs), hair loss, lack of energy.
- Methotrexate can interact with several medications. Some of these include NSAIDS, cyclosporine, and folic acid. It is important to discuss with your pet's veterinarian all medications, supplements, and herbal products you may be giving to your pet before starting methotrexate.
- Your veterinarian may also monitor your pet for toxicities associated with methotrexate by watching for signs of irritation of the gastrointestinal tract. They may also perform lab tests such as a complete blood count, renal function tests, and liver function tests.
How do you use Methotrexate?
- When giving methotrexate to your companion, it is important for you to avoid exposure as much as possible to protect yourself. Wear gloves and immediately wash your hands after handling the drug.
- You should also wear gloves when handling all bodily waste (vomit, urine, litter, feces) for a few days after Methotrexate is given. Seal the waste and anything used to clean it in a plastic bag. Dispose of the gloves and the bag in another sealed plastic bag and place it in the regular trash.
- If you need to split the tablet or handle a broken tablet, wearing gloves is extremely important.
- Methotrexate should be given with food. Follow your veterinarian's directions.
What is in Methotrexate?
- The drug Methotrexate is a chemotherapy/ anticancer drug and it suppresses the immune system.
Will I get what I see in the picture?
- Methotrexate is sold as an FDA approved generic drug. Brand may vary from order to order and variation to variation. We are unable to guarantee which brand will be available at the time of order shipment.
Is it important for my dog or cat to finish all of the Methotrexate?
- Dogs and cats may use Methotrexate for different lengths of time. Please consult your veterinarian if you have any questions.
No Reviews Yet
Q & A
Hello is this safe for 5 month old dog ?
Methotrexate is used most commonly for the treatment of cancer or autoimmune diseases in humans, but this use in pets is based on limited experimental studies. For this reason, veterinarians must utilize specific protocols to determine a dose and regimen. Your pet’s veterinarian must perform a clinical evaluation of your pet and your pet’s condition to determine what dose and duration will be safe and effective. We recommend that you follow-up with your pet’s veterinarian if you have any concerns about using this medication for your dog. Thank you, VetRxDirectCommunity Answer
Hello. Is a quality for humans??
Adri, This is the equivalent to the human medication, however we do not fill prescriptions for human use. We fill prescriptions strictly for pets prescribed by licensed veterinarians. Thank you, VetRxDirectCommunity Answer