What is Methigel Methionine Nutritional Supplement for Cats and Dogs?
- Methigel is a gel supplement that contains Methionine.
- DL-Methionine aids in controlling the formation of calculi in the urinary tract.
- Methionine is commonly used to acidify the urine.
- Acidifying the urine may help prevent and treat certain types of stone formations and to reduce odor from the urine.
- Methigel provides an alternative to giving Methionine tablets.
- Methigel can be placed directly into the mouth or on the pet’s nose for the pet to lick off and swallow on their own.
Why do cats and dogs use Methigel?
- Veterinarians may recommend a supplement like DL-Methionine to promote acidifying the urine, which may help prevent and treat certain types of stone formations and reduce odor from the urine.
- Maintains acidic urine pH.
- Easy to administer gel.
What problems could my dog or cat have with Methigel?
- Methionine is not recommended for kittens, or for animals with renal failure, pancreatic disease, or liver insufficiency.
- Possible adverse effects include gastrointestinal upset. If given with food, methionine may have reduced side effects and increased efficacy.
- Methionine can be given with food or mixed in food unless otherwise instructed by your pet's veterinarian.
- If too much methionine is given or if overdosage occurs, it can lead to anorexia, uncoordinated muscle movement, and cyanosis (a blue or purple pigmentation of the skin due to low oxygen levels).
How do you use Methigel?
- Give as directed by your veterinarian.
- Discuss the use of new supplements with your veterinarian before you start giving them.
What is in Methigel?
- The active ingredient in Methigel is Methionine, a nutritional supplement and urinary acidifier.
Will I get what I see in the picture?
- Methigel is a brand name. You will receive the exact brand that you request.
Is it important for my dog or cat to finish all of the Methigel?
- Dogs and cats may use Methigel for different lengths of time. Please consult your veterinarian if you have any questions.
Good productFrom UndisclosedComments about Methigel Methionine Supplement
these 2 products are a mainstay in our homeFrom undisclosedComments about Methigel Methionine Supplement
Almost perfectFrom WIComments about Methigel Methionine Supplement
Q & A
How soon should effects be realized in 9 pound Yorkie ? - (i.e. lowering of Ph)?
Methigel is a dietary supplement that contains DL-Methionine. Methionine is used primarily to acidify urine or lower the pH, which may, over time, reduce certain types of urinary stones. According to Plumb’s Veterinary Drug Handbook, Methionine should start having effects within 1 to 2 hours; however, you will not see the effects of this medication outwardly. Your veterinarian will need to run further tests to determine if the medication is working appropriately. The effects of this medication are short-lived, meaning they will stop working within 24 hours, although the benefits may be prolonged if your animal has decreased kidney and/or liver function.Verified Answer
Can a cat get too much of this? Like if they did not eat all of it in their food mixture then gave him some after via syringe but don't know exactly how much he got now....?
The manufacturer’s directions for use for cats is to administer ½ teaspoon daily. It is recommended to give Methigel via one route of administration per dose. If you suspect your cat has received an accidental overdose, please contact your veterinarian immediately.Verified Answer
Is this med help urinary problems my dog pees a. Lot she is always getting uti she is 13 yrs?
Methigel is a dietary supplement that contains DL-Methionine. Methionine is commonly used to acidify the urine aids in controlling the formation of stones in the urinary tract. This product is not labeled to treat urinary infections. Please consult with your veterinarian with any further questions or concerns regarding this product and your dog.Verified Answer