What is Humalog Insulin for Dogs and Cats?
- Insulin is a hormone that is naturally produced by the pancreas to convert sugar (glucose) in the blood to energy for the body.
- Insulin therapy is prescribed to dogs and cats with diabetes. Diabetic animals are either unable to produce their own insulin or cannot use it properly.
- Insulin helps treat diabetes in cats and dogs by normalizing the glucose level in the blood.
- The insulin in Humalog is Insulin Lispro.
- Humalog is a U-100 rapid-acting insulin. U-100 means that each milliliter of insulin is divided into 100 dosing units.
Why do cats and dogs use Humalog?
- Insulin is prescribed to dogs and cats with diabetes mellitus to help lower their blood sugar.
- Insulin is an ongoing, supportive treatment for diabetes.
What else should I know about Humalog?
- Humalog vials and pens should be discarded within 28 days after first puncture.
- Syringes and pen needles are sold separately.
- KwikPens can be used with U-100 insulin syringes or pen needles.
- KwikPens used with pen needles can only dose whole units. You cannot dial the pen to dispense a half unit.
- Vials should be used with U-100 insulin syringes.
- Store Humalog in the refrigerator.
- Humalog is not eligible for free shipping.
- Humalog must be shipped next day in cold packs. Saturday delivery is an extra $20 charge to the carrier.
What problems could my dog or cat have with Humalog?
- Insulin overdoses may be fatal. Contact your veterinarian immediately if your dog or cat is not acting normally.
- Signs of low blood sugar include weakness, depression, lack of energy, sluggishness, stumbling when walking, behavior changes, muscle twitching, seizures, or coma. It is a medical emergency if your cat or dog is unconscious or having a seizure.
How do you use Humalog?
- Insulin works best when given regularly - at the same times each day and in the same way regarding feeding, such as always after a meal. Follow your veterinarian's directions.
- Double check the dose every time before you give the insulin to prevent overdoses.
- Keep a source of easily given sugar, such as corn syrup or honey, on hand at all times in case of low blood sugar. Follow your veterinarian's suggestions.
What is in Humalog?
- The drug in Humalog is Insulin Lispro.
- There are different kinds of insulin classified by how quickly they work, how long they last, or when they have peak effectiveness.
- Insulin Lispro is a type of rapid-acting insulin. Rapid-acting insulin reaches the bloodstream about 15 minutes after injection, peaks 1 to 2 hours later, and tends to last for about 2 to 4 hours.
Will I get what I see in the picture?
- Humalog is a brand name. You will receive the exact brand that you request.
Is it important for my dog or cat to finish all of the Humalog?
- Dogs and cats may use Humalog for different lengths of time. Please consult your veterinarian if you have any questions.
No Reviews Yet
Q & A
Whats the differebetween hunalog and levemir?
Humalog, insulin lispro, is a type of fast-acting human insulin. Levemir, insulin detemir, is a type of long-acting human insulin. Both of these medications are human labeled, brand name drugs that may be prescribed extra-label by a veterinarian for the treatment of diabetes in dogs or cats. Please consult with your veterinarian with any further questions or concerns regarding these medications.Verified Answer
Is this humalog for pets or humans?
Humalog, insulin lispro, is a type of fast-acting human insulin. It can be prescribed for extra-label use by a veterinarian to treat diabetes in dogs and cats. As a pet pharmacy, we only dispense this medication with a veterinarian’s prescription for use in animals.Verified Answer
Is humalog lispro insulin rapid acting or short acting?
Humalog, insulin lispro, is a type of fast-acting human insulinVerified Answer