What are Chlorpheniramine Suspensions for Dogs and Cats?
- Chlorpheniramine is a prescription antihistamine medication commonly used for treating allergic reactions and allergic skin conditions in dogs and cats.
- This medication commonly causes drowsiness, so it may be prescribed to dogs and cats as a mild sedative and to reduce motion sickness.
- Chlorpheniramine is also sometimes used for feline asthma and in the treatment of mast cell tumors.
- This suspension is a flavored liquid that may be easier to give to dogs and cats that will not take tablets.
Why do cats and dogs use Chlorpheniramine?
- Chlorpheniramine may given for allergies, itching, or sedation.
- Chlorpheniramine may be also be prescribed for itching caused by certain types of cancer, like mast cell tumors.
What else should I know about Chlorpheniramine?
- A prescription is required for these Chlorpheniramine Suspensions.
- Chlorpheniramine has a bitter taste. It may be difficult to get cats to take it.
- The suspension is oil-based, and should be stored at room temperature. Do not store the suspension in the refrigerator.
What problems could my dog or cat have with Chlorpheniramine?
- Clorpheniramine can cause your pet to be sleepy, have a dry mouth, and urinate less frequently.
- Chlorpheniramine shouldn’t be used in pets with closed angle glaucoma, BPH, hyperthyroidism, cardiovascular disease, hypertension, and COPD if they have mucous secretions, unless directed to use it by your pet's veterinarian.
How do you use Chlorpheniramine?
- Shake the suspension well before use.
- Antihistamines like Chlorpheniramine should be used on a regular basis in animals that respond to them. They work better if given before exposure to an allergen, such as pollen.
What is in Chlorpheniramine?
- Chlorpheniramine is a antihistamine. It blocks the release of histamine in the body, which causes itchiness.
Will I get what I see in the picture?
- These Chlorpheniramine Suspensions are compounded medications. The ingredients will be mixed specially for your dog or cat in our pharmacy.
Is it important for my dog or cat to finish all of the Chlorpheniramine?
- Dogs and cats may use Chlorpheniramine for different lengths of time. Please consult your veterinarian if you have any questions.
Who makes the Chlorpheniramine Suspension?
- These Chlorpheniramine Suspensions are hand-made in our pharmacy.
- There is a minimum charge of $49.99.
- Shelf-life limits orders to an 80-day supply.
No Reviews Yet
What is the chlorpheniramine mixed with? Thanks!?
- Asked by Alicia
Verified Reply - VetRxDirect Chlorpheniramine Suspension (Compounded) uses corn oil as the base vehicle and silica gel to provide a suspending agent. Oil miscible flavoring is added to increase pet acceptance. It is recommended to store the Chlorpheniramine Suspension (Compounded) at room temperature and shake well prior to each use. The product has a beyond-use-date of 90 days after compounding.
On a prescription for my 10 pound cat, my vet wrote Chlor-trimeton oral syrup 4mg/5ml #30ml 2.5 ml bid p.o What Chlorpheniramine Suspenion do you have that matches the prescription??
- Asked by Susan