What is Centragard Transdermal Solution for Cats?
- Centragard is a prescription heartworm preventative medication for cats that also treats intestinal parasite infections.
- It contains two types of dewormers, Eprinomectin and Praziquantel, which treat and control hookworms, roundworms, and tapeworms.
- Centragard eliminates heartworm larvae and prevents heartworm disease in cats.
- It is applied topically to the skin, where it is absorbs into the bloodstream and provides one month of protection.
Why do cats use Centragard?
- Veterinarians prescribe Centragard for the prevention of heartworms and control of roundworms, hookworms, and tapeworms.
What else should I know about Centragard?
- For use in cats and kittens 7 weeks of age or older and weighing 1.8 lbs or greater.
- Your veterinarian may need to perform yearly or more frequent heartworm tests and exams to make sure that the Centragard is effective and appropriate.
What problems could my cat have with Centragard?
- Possible side effects, drug and food interactions, precautions.
- Do not allow your cat or other pets to groom or lick the application site for at least 20 to 30 minutes after application. Cats that ingest Centragard from grooming the application site may vomit, have excessive drooling or salivation, or show lethargy, tiredness, or lack of energy.
- Common side effects include scratching the application site.
- Avoid contact with the eyes.
How do you use Centragard?
- Centragard is commonly applied to the skin once a month, on the same day of the month, year-round to protect against heartworms. Follow your veterinarian's directions.
- Apply directly to the skin between the base of the skull and the shoulder blades - where the cat can't lick.
- Humans should avoid contact with the appliation site for 5 hours after treatment.
- Wash your hands after administering Centragard.
What is in Centragard?
- There are two dewormers in Centragard: Eprinomectin and Praziquantel.
Will I get what I see in the picture?
- Centragard is a brand name. You will receive the exact brand that you request.
Is it important for my cat to finish all of the Centragard?
- Cats may use Centragard for different lengths of time. Please consult your veterinarian if you have any questions.
No Reviews Yet
Q & A
Will one treatment rid my cat of his roundworms??
According to the manufacturer’s package insert, Centragard treats and controls roundworms (adult and fourth stage larval Toxocara cati) after a single administration or when given monthly as part of a heartworm prevention program. Cats may be exposed to and can become infected with roundworms, hookworms, and tapeworms throughout the year, regardless of season or climate. It is recommended that you consult with your veterinarian to determine the best method to use this medication and prevent reinfection of intestinal parasites in your cat.Verified Answer
do I put it on the neck where I do the flea and tic med?
The manufacturer provides the following directions for Centragard: To apply Centragard pull back the plunger of the unit applicator slightly and remove the cap. Part the hair in one spot on the midline of the neck between the base of the skull and the shoulder blades, place the tip of the unit applicator on the skin and apply the contents directly on the skin. If the weight of the cat requires a second application, apply the contents in the same manner as described above in the same location.Verified Answer
How long does it take for it to kill tapeworms??
According to the manufacturer, it takes between 7 to 11 days after the treatment to kill the tapeworms. Please consult with your veterinarian about Centragard use in your cat.Verified Answer
how long will side effects of centragard last? My cat is very lethargic since application and won't eat?
Lethargy and decreased appetite are common adverse effects following Centragard Transdermal Solution application. Lethargy and appetite should improve after a few days as these side effects are temporary. Speak with your veterinarian to determine if Centragard Transdermal Solution is appropriate for heartworm and intestinal parasite prevention in your cat.Verified Answer
How long to kill roundworms in a kitten??
According to the manufacturer, Centragard will start killing roundworms about 3 days after application. Centragard is indicated for use in cats weighing at least 1.8 pounds and 7 weeks of age. Please consult with your veterinarian about Centragard use with your kitten.Verified Answer