Alendronate (Generic) Rx
Usually ships the same weekday before 3pm CT with veterinary approval.
Requires veterinary authorization.
Your pet's veterinarian will provide directions for use.
What are Alendronate Tablets for Cats and Dogs?
- Alendronate is a bisphosphonate prescription drug used in the treatment of hypercalcemia.
- Hypercalcemia is a condition that occurs when the amount of calcium in the blood exceeds normal levels.
- Alendronate works to lower calcium levels in the blood by reducing the substance responsible for calcium production.
- Alendronate also works by slowing bone loss in the body.
Why is Alendronate used for dogs and cats?
- If your cat has been diagnosed with hypercalcemia or a similar metabolic condition, your veterinarian may prescribe this medication.
- Alendronate may be prescribed in the treatment of some types of bone cancer.
- Veterinarians may prescribe this medication for cats to help treat a dental condition called feline odontoclastic resorptive lesions.
- Alendronate may also be prescribed for other disorders.
What else should I know about Alendronate?
- Alendronate lowers calcium levels in the blood.
- Please note that the manufacturer has discontinued the 5mg tablets.
What problems could my dog or cat have with Alendronate?
- Possible side effects include vomiting, lack of appetite, throat or esophageal sores, or bone pain.
- Contact your veterinarian if you notice any concerning changes after you start giving your dog or cat Alendronate.
How do you use Alendronate?
- Give Alendronate tablets by mouth as directed by your veterinarian.
- Alendronate must be given with water on an empty stomach. Food can cause Alendronate not to be absorbed and not work.
- Do not offer food for at least 30 minutes after the dose is given.
What is in Alendronate?
- Alendronate is the active ingredient in this medication.
- Alendronate is a bisphosphonate that lowers blood calcium levels by reducing the substance responsible for calcium production.
Will I get what I see in the picture?
Alendronate is sold as an FDA-approved human generic drug. Brand may vary from order to order and variation to variation. We are unable to guarantee which brand will be available at the time of order shipment.
Is it important for my dog or cat to finish all of the Alendronate?
Dogs and cats may use this product for different lengths of time. Please consult your veterinarian if you have any questions.
My cat is doing well thanks to this medicationFrom UndisclosedComments about Alendronate (Generic) 10mg TabletMy vet did extra research into finding this medication for my cat, Loki. He was diagnosed with high calcium in his blood. This medication has been successful in keeping his blood calcium levels down.
Good priceFrom UndisclosedComments about Alendronate (Generic)Helps keep my little old chi from turning into a calcified dog. He's had no prob with the meds & the smaller pill I got this last time is easier to get down his very stubborn throat.
Q & A
How do I get this Alendronate in 15 mg?d?
Unfortunately Alendronate is not currently available as a 15mg tablet and is only made as a 10 mg, 35 mg, 40 mg, and 70 mg tablet. The 5 mg tablets are no longer commercially available. You may consider speaking with your veterinarian regarding the dose of your pet’s medication, and discuss the options. Also, it is generally recommended not to break, split, or crush tablets as this can cause irritation or ulceration of the esophagus.Verified Answer
Is this available in a liquid or injectable form??
Generic Alendronate is currently available in oral tablets only. Please consult with your veterinarian if you have any additional questions about this medication.Verified Answer
What is the dosage for this product??
Alendronate is a medication used to lower the amount of calcium in the blood in animals with hypercalcemia, too much calcium in the blood, or other metabolic conditions. Because this is a prescription medication, your veterinarian should determine the dosage for your pet.Verified Answer