Why Do Cats and Dogs Use Compounded Acetylsalicylic Acid (Aspirin)?
- Aspirin, or acetylsalicylic acid, is commonly used for the treatment of pain, inflammation, and fevers.
- Aspirin may also be prescribed for the treatment of certain heart conditions and the prevention of blood clots.
What is Acetylsalicylic Acid (Aspirin)?
- Aspirin, or acetylsalicylic acid, is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID).
- Aspirin works by reducing substances in the body that cause pain and inflammation.
What else should I know about Acetylsalicylic Acid (Aspirin)?
- Available in capsules or an oil-based chicken-flavored oral suspension.
- Compounded Aspirin preparations require a prescription.
What problems could my dog or cat have with Acetylsalicylic Acid (Aspirin)?
- Aspirin can cause serious side effects and should only be given under a veterinarian's guidance.
- Cats are very sensitive to aspirin.
- Dogs may have GI side effects such as vomiting, diarrhea, lack of appetite that your veterinarian needs to assess.
How do you use Acetylsalicylic Acid (Aspirin)?
- Read and follow the prescription label carefully for storage information, possible side effects, and drug interactions.
- Give the exact amount prescribed and only as often as directed.
- Do not skip doses or stop giving the medication without consulting your veterinarian.
What is in Acetylsalicylic Acid (Aspirin)?
- The active ingredient is commonly known as aspirin. Aspirin is also known as acetylsalicylic acid.
Will I get what I see in the picture?
- Acetylsalicylic Acid (Aspirin) is a compounded medication. Our pharmacy will mix the ingredient specifically for your dog or cat.
Is it important for my dog or cat to finish all of the Acetylsalicylic Acid (Aspirin)?
- Dogs and cats may use this product for different lengths of time. Please consult your veterinarian if you have any questions.
Who makes Acetylsalicylic Acid (Aspirin)?
- Acetylsalicylic Acid (Aspirin) is hand-made in our pharmacy.
- There is a minimum charge of $49.99 per order.
- Capsule shelf-life limits orders to a 170-day supply.
- Suspension shelf-life limits orders to a 50-day supply.
No Reviews Yet
Q & A
My dog is currently taking a liquid aspirin suspension of 0.8 ML (10mg/ML). Would you guys be able to provide this in liquid or capsule form? Thank you!?
Yes, a compounded 10 mg/mL suspension is offered through VetRxDirect. The compounded product will require a prescription from your veterinarian.Verified Answer
Hello,My cat is supposed to take an 81 mg. aspirin every 3 days. Is this liquid the equivalent of one 81 mg tablet? Thank you.?
Anne, The liquid aspirin that we compound comes in two different strengths, 2mg/mL and 5mg/mL. To achieve an 81 mg dose in the liquid, you would need to give 16.2 milliliters of the 5mg/mL liquid. As we sell this in 30mL bottles, a bottle would be not quite two doses for your cat. It does not sound like the liquid would be an economical choice for your cat. Thank you, VetRxDirectCommunity Answer