What are Ciprofloxacin Tablets for Dogs and Cats?
- Ciprofloxacin is an antibiotic used to kill bacteria and is often used as an alternative to enrofloxacin when needing a larger dosage.
Why do cats and dogs use Ciprofloxacin?
- Ciprofloxacin is an antibiotic prescribed to treat certain kinds of bacterial infections.
What problems could my dog or cat have with Ciprofloxacin?
- This medication can potentially cause cartilage changes in young animals and should not be given to small and medium breed dogs aging from 2 to 8 months old.
- Although side effects are generally uncommon, vomiting and anorexia (loss of appetite) can occur.
How do you use Ciprofloxacin?
- When giving ciprofloxacin orally, administer the medication on an empty stomach.
- Ciprofloxacin should also be given at least 2 hours apart from any antacids or dairy products because the drug can bind to those products and make the medication less effective.
What is in Ciprofloxacin?
- Ciprofloxacin is a fluoroquinolone antibiotic.
Will I get what I see in the picture?
- Ciprofloxacin is sold as an FDA approved generic drug. Brand may vary from order to order and variation to variation. We are unable to guarantee which brand will be available at the time of order shipment.
Is it important for my dog or cat to finish all of the Ciprofloxacin?
- Ciprofloxacin is an antibiotic. Resistance is a major concern when using antibiotics. To help avoid resistance, it is important for you to use this for as long as your veterinarian has prescribed, even if you dog or cat is looking and feeling better.
No Reviews Yet
Where is it manufactured??
- Asked by cedric
Verified Reply - Ciprofloxacin is available thru several generic pharmaceutical companies. The manufacturer and distributor of ciprofloxacin tablets may vary depending on availability and pricing from our supplier. Thank you, VetRxDirect
How many of these do I need in order to get rid of my dog's UTI? She is about 65-70 pounds.?
- Asked by Danielle
Verified Reply - Absorption of ciprofloxacin in dogs when taken by mouth can range from 32 - 80%, making the effectiveness of ciprofloxacin highly variable. Dosing recommendations for this medication vary as a result of this inconsistent absorption. Due to side effects and absorption issues, medication is often reserved for severe infections that are resistant to treatment or require intravenous antibiotics. Treatment for a UTI can be determined by many disease and patient specific factors. These include: whether the infection is caused by a bacteria or a fungus, if it is caused by a bacterial infection then which antibiotics the infection can be treated by, the severity of the infection, which medications can be tolerated by the patient and which medications have been previously tried to treat a UTI in the patient. These factors should be assessed by a veterinarian to determine which medication will be most appropriate to treat the infection. In addition, ciprofloxacin is a medication, which requires a prescription from a veterinarian. Thank you, VetRxDirect
do i have to have a prescription?
- Asked by pam
Verified Reply - Yes, this medication does require a prescription. Thank you, VetRxDirect
What dosage to give a small breed?
- Asked by Buttons
Verified Reply - Dosing ciprofloxacin is based on the weight of your pet, as well as the infection being treated. Your veterinarian will determine what dose is appropriate for your pet. Thank you, VetRxDirect
I need an antibiotic for an older female cat with a sinus and eye infection. Please give me advice on which product I should buy for her??
- Asked by RayBee
Open Reply - VetRxDirect Ciprofloxacin tablets and ciprofloxacin ophthalmic solution both require a prescription from a veterinarian. Your veterinarian will need to evaluate your cat and determine a proper diagnosis to decide if ciprofloxacin is the proper therapy. The correct diagnosis accompanied by the proper drug, dose and duration will ensure the best possible outcome for your pet. Thank you, VetRxDirect
Is this the same ciprofloxacin as given for humans?
- Asked by Liberty
Open Reply - VetRxDirect Liberty, Ciprofloxacin is a human medication that has uses in veterinary pharmacy. We, however, only fill for veterinary use and require a prescription from a licensed United States veterinarian. Thank you, VetRxDirect